Saturday, September 22, 2007

Happy Oktoberfest!

Happy Oktoberfest! This is a beer post.

Last night, my better half and I took advantage of the beautiful weather, and repaired to Resi's Bierstube to celebrate one day early Crown Prince Ludwig's 1810 nuptials, aka Oktoberfest. With my wursts, I enjoyed an Ayinger Liebhard's Kellerbier, aka Jahrhundert-Bier "100 years beer" and a Spaten Optimator. The Optimator, a classic doppelbock, is widely available. But I had never seen the Ayinger Kellerbier, an unfiltered lager, anywhere. The suspended yeast gives it a fuller taste. Wow, what a fantastic brew from a great brewery.

Earlier in the week, I had a chance to taste both the Sprecher Oktoberfest, and the Capital Oktoberfest. Again, this isn't my favorite style, but both were perfectly fine beers.

Sprecher, the older brewery, put out a more American version, with a caramel sweetness that's almost cloying. I wouldn't drink it alone, but my copy of Garrett Oliver's The Brewmaster's Table tells me that it would go well with dry rub BBQ. I might have to give this a try...

The Capital had biscuit-y overtones to balance its sweetness, which made it, IMHO, more drinkable than the Sprecher. Thus, the pride of Middleton, Wisconsin is the official Oktoberfest beer of Lager Beer Riot.

"O'zapft is!"

No comments: