Sunday, November 11, 2007

Oh yeah, the coffee--a brief geek-out

So, I've learned a bunch about coffee roasting after just a few batches. I am by no means an expert, but after turning out a couple of batches which had an aftertaste that recalled Holiday Inn ashtray circa 1979, I managed to roast both the Brazilian and Sumatran coffees close enough to style. The Brazil didn't work as a single-origin espresso, but as a blend, these coffees were perfectly serviceable. I think that I could eventually dial in a roast for my low-rent pump machine.

Run through my Chemex, these coffees tasted downright delicious.

With the help of Kenneth Davids's Home Coffee Roasting: Romance & Revival and an investment of about $30, I was up and running. If you love coffee, and like me, can't afford Rancilio espresso equipment, this is a fun and cheap way of working on your palate at home.

No comments: